Idris Elba Kicking Ass and Taking Names = Worthwhile Movie Night
By all accounts, I probably shouldn’t be covering this particular trailer. I haven’t read the books the movie is based on; I’ve never really been a devotee of the fantasy genre, let alone epic fantasy; and I’m quite burned out on the “chosen one” plot device. That said, I have been somewhat won over to fantasy stories through the Game of Thrones TV show. Despite all the hype, it is a show that manages to skillfully tell a story with stellar acting (the real selling point, in my opinion), and so I’m game to another good epic if the acting is good and the story is engaging. However, it’s TV shows like Westworld that are nearest and dearest to my heart because it satisfies my personal checklist of things that I DO like:
- Westerns (all of them…even the cheesy, politically incorrect ones).
- Sci-fi, so long as the story doesn’t take a back seat to the whiz-bang gadgetry and world building.
- Sci-fi Westerns?? Awesome idea. I quite enjoyed Cowboys vs. Aliens. Judge me all you want. I feel no shame about this.
The Dark Tower may further scratch my weird-ass entertainment itch and then some due to a few more additions of things I quite like:
- Anything to do with parallel dimensions (I have a copy of Brian Greene’s The Hidden Reality on my To-Read List and intend to find a portal to somewhere someday).
- Idris Elba (do you need a reason?).
- Matthew McConaughey playing a bad guy.
Based on this trailer, The Dark Tower checks off the abovementioned attributes and is just a friggin cool trailer. So whether or not I’m “qualified” to highlight it, I want to anyway. There’s plenty of Matrix stylization and “we must save the world” dialogue, but watching Idris Elba in a black duster coat channeling his inner Wyatt Earp will alone be worth the $10-$15 for the movie ticket. I’ll definitely be watching.